Widgets

Keyword Research Guide for Bloggers - Case Study

Posted On // Leave a Comment
The biggest mistake I have ever done to previous blogs is not targeting any "Primary Keywords". Every normal blogger research on various tools before writing every post. Have researched for keywords before starting your blog ?

Answer to this question is most frequently "NO".

Reason behind this silly mistake is blogging is a sort of passion and bloggers want to write on the things which they love to write. No matter what competition is.

Result of this kind of philosophy is low organic traffic and even if there is traffic, that traffic is not targeted as traffic is coming from wide range of subjects. It is impossible to scale-up these kind of blogs in terms of revenues as well readers' base.

Let's not waste your precious time and start the keyword research process


1. Find you blog topic

I am assuming that you are clear about topic you are writing and choose a domain according to it. As here on The Good blogger I provide blogging and SEO tips, I want to guide bloggers so I choose this this domain.

Now I am going to find primary keywords for Templategrid.com

2. Make a big list of keywords


On Template Grid I share blogger templates for free. So whole of this website revolves around the keyword "Blogger Templates" but it is very difficult to rank so I will try to find long tail keywords.

Tools I am using

  • Microsoft Excel
  • Google Adword Keyword Planner ( Free )
  • Semrush.com ( Free with limitations)
  • Long Tail Pro ( 10 days trail available)
  • Traffic Travis ( Free with limitations ( $1 trail available for premium features)
  • Open Site Explorer ( Free with limitations) ( Free trial available with Credit Card )

These are the most important tool for all professional bloggers. Specifically tools from Moz.com, I use frequently.

I am at making list of 25 to keywords and then choose 5 out of them as my primary keywords.

Now I open "Research" tab on Traffic Travis. Put two keywords in keywords option, these words are

Blogger templates
Blogspot templates
Download list of keywords as CSV format.

I avoided "blogger template" as when a searcher search this term he might be searching for some specific template for example "Design Rapid blogger template". I am not aiming at these kind of keywords.

Here is broad list of keywords I fetched, I manually removed keywords that were not related to "Blogger Templates"

blogger templates
blogger template
free blogger templates
blogspot templates
blog templates
free blog templates
blogspot template
free blogger template
blogger layouts
blogger templates free
best blogger templates
premium blogger templates
free blogspot templates
simple blogger templates
cute blogger templates
blogger template designer
blogspot templates free
custom blogger templates
blogger templates html
3 column blogger templates
premade blogger templates
blogger template generator
create blogger template
cute blogspot templates

3) Narrow down keyword list

It's time to narrow down the keyword list. I am using Long Tail Pro for this purpose. You need to spend some hours in this step.

While researching on each keyword, I made a criteria on selection of keyword :-

1) Monthly global searches should be more than 1500

2) Atleast 3 results in 10 which are really easy to beat

Now I am left with 13 keywords.

4) Find the level of competition

Google is treasure where lots of high traffic keyword searches are served by low quality content.  We need to find those keywords.

Now its time to put each keywords one by one on Long Tail Pro's competition analysis tab.
long tail pro


5) Final Keywords 

Blogger layouts
Free Blogger Templates
After a long research, finally I found these two keywords "Free Blogger Templates" have 14,800 exact match global monthly searches and "Blogger Layouts" have 3600 exact match monthly searches.

It is very important to search all the keywords that you shortlisted. No software can replace human brain, you need to ask yourself, can you compete with  the results ?  Your deliver better content

If answer is yes then go on !!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment